13.5.10

Auckland

I love to walk. This is a good thing. A very good thing.
The past two days, we have walked everywhere in this city. Yesterday, we wandered the downtown and wharf, and eventually came across a restaurant that had the best lamb I've ever tasted (sorry, Granny; if it's any consolation, we were hungry). Eventually, we found ourselves in Albert Park, where we saw some of the largest trees any of us have ever seen (they remind me of Old Man Willow from The Fellowship of the Ring).

On the other side of Albert Park is the University of Auckland. It's a beautiful campus. And, of course, the plant life is incredible.


Today, we took an early(ish) morning hike up Mt. Eden, and we could see the entire city from the edge of the crater (smackdab in the middle of the mountain).


We then continued to the Auckland Museum, which has more wood carvings than I knew existed in the entire world.


Already, I feel like I have a decent handle on this city. It's well laid-out, and there are enough landmarks to remember where to turn. And the people here are really nice.
Although I really like Auckland, there isn't much here that's too terribly different from some American cities (it reminds me a bit of Portland). I can't wait to head out to Wellington tomorrow, and then to Masterton, since we'll be more "out in the middle of nowhere."

m.

No comments: