20.8.10

compiling

I've begun compiling a list--at least in my head--of things I need to take to Turkey.
It's recommended that I only take one suitcase and stuff a duffel inside of it. I think that's what I'm going to do, although I have a sneaking suspicion I'll end up with a couple things that won't fit into the one bag.
However, Turkey is known for its textiles, so my logic is this: the less I take, the more I'll have to buy when I'm over there.
See how well it all works out?

There are, though, some things I know I need to take.

Brandon, for one. Not taking a camera to Turkey is like not taking air when you go scuba diving.

Emma and Emily, my laptop and iPod, respectively.
I'm an advocate for naming technology--I think it works better when you name it. For those of you who know me slash my technology, Ed, my former iPod, is just that: former. My mom recently got a MacBook (she was Maggie before she was out of the box), and while Emma is still mine (named after the fantastic Mrs. Peel of the original Avengers), I got the new music player. While I prefer the shape of the first generation (it's a touch), he's a bit titchy.
In my opinion, he just rebelled against his name. The full name is Edward, and although that's his name (don't ask; we've established I'm strange, and let's just leave it at that), he doesn't seem to like it.
So now there's Emily, and she's coming with me.

I also need to decide on a book. I sincerely hope one will be enough. It needs to be long, to last me the 16 hour flight to Istanbul plus two layovers, but I can't fill my bag with books.
Currently, I'm thinking that the unabridged Les Miserables will be good. I've read the abridged version and I like it, it's about 2,000 pages (should last me at least a month), and since I reread The Pillars of the Earth earlier this summer, it's out.

Some pens, my journal (maybe a second), and drawing pencils.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's something else that's vital. This is the first time I've spent this much time anywhere out of the country (although it often feels as though Iowa is). A good sense of adventure, I suppose, would be a good idea.
And excitement. Excitement would be good, although I think I already have it covered.

m.

1 comment:

johnthebasket said...

It might be time for a Kindle.

j