31.8.10

Someday, I will say, "going back."

It's August 31 at 6:26pm (at this precise moment), which means in ten days, almost to the minute, I will be boarding a plane that, God (and weather and air traffic and international borders) willing, will be the first leg to Istanbul.
Things are coming together, it seems, all of a sudden. I got my student visa a couple of days ago, which means they'll let me into the country. When I get there, I'll need to get a resident visa, but that's there and not here. My plane tickets are purchased.
When I arrive, I have a place to stay. It was iffy there for a while. I managed to secure one half of a double room in the girl's dorm, but that did subject me to dorm food--something I'm not a huge fan of (after two years of watery broccoli and gristle stir-fry, I'd like the chance to cook). G., the other student going (from Coe, my school), told me--almost in passing--that he'll be living in the International house. And I managed to secure the last room there. I don't have a balcony or a garden...neither of which I was expecting, so it's really not the end of the world.

So now, I get to wait. I don't have my schedule yet, but they're still confirming when classes will be, so I'm not behind. The only thing left I need to to is practice packing. Yes, practice.
The plan is: one large checked bag with a duffel stuffed inside. For rather obvious reasons, it needs to be under fifty pounds. And clothes get heavy fast. So "practice" is an appropriate word.
My days seem to be attached to a pendulum. One moment, I'm giddy with excitement, the next, I'm utterly terrified.
Although I have traveled extensively, I've never done it on my own. I've always had the option to point to the adult nearby and say "they're the one with the visa. Ask them!" There's always been someone else to keep me from being arrested (okay, there's never been any reason to, but at times like that I go into "worst situation" mode, even if there isn't a reason). In addition, I'll be going to a place where English is not the official language. Most people there speak it, but I need to learn Turkish. Much, much faster than I have been. Without looking at anything, I can say "hello," "yes," and "I am reading."

In other travel news, Chelsey Scheffe, one of my friends from high school, has spent the past month in China, working at New Day Creations. When we were seniors, we had the chance to go to New Day and help out. Her blog (besides being well written with great photos), here, has photos of the guest house where we stayed. There's a picture of a photo of us (us: the entire group, plus some of the Chinese students), and it brings back a wave of memories. We used to have sliding competitions down the long, heated hallway, and pile on the couches for evening meetings, and playing feather sack (hacky sack, but a bunch of tin disks attached to feathers so it jingled every time you kicked it) in the courtyard.

Someday, I'll have memories like that from Turkey.


m.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I know what you mean - G. and I fly out on the 9th at 11:26am. I wish I had the travel experience you have though, I'm scared stiff. Never been in O'Hare, never been on a plane, and my parents can only take me so far until it's all up to me. Still ecstatic though - Japan! We're flying out through Delta, and apparently because we're going to Japan we can take two suitcases each - which leaves plenty of room for Christmas presents on the way back :) Do you have a Skype account? If so, you should message me on Facebook so we can talk while we're gone! Have a fabulous time, be safe, and we'll miss you next semester.

-Abby