6.10.10

I saw 44 pairs of Converse on the bus today.

And that was the best part of my day.

My architecture courses:
Tuesday, 14,00 (that's 2:00): Disaster & House Design
Wednesday, 12,00: Urban & Architectural Development of Istanbul
Wednesday, 15,00: Design Concept Research in Architecture
Friday, 13,00: Computer Aided Presentation Techniques
Plus a Studio course. Since I'm not a traditional architecture student, Elif (my advisor) decided it would be better for me to take a Level I, which she hadn't looked at (time/day).

I should also note that the official Kültür architecture website has totally different times. The ones listed are those that were on my handwritten schedule from Elif.

Tuesday.
Arrive at 9, because that's when the website says the class starts.
I spent 15 minutes looking for the room (materials lab, basement 2). The woman at the front desk (who speaks next to no English) didn't know, so she called the International office. They couldn't tell me either, and said I should come up to the office.
I did.
I got a map.
I went to the room. It had "mimarl1k" ("architecture") and "2" on the door.
I went in.
Twenty-five minutes after the class began, the professor walked in (there isn't any of that "20 minutes, no prof, no class" here). She took one look at me and said "You know this class isn't in English, right?"
One of the students helped me find the room where the English architecture course was happening. The lecture was starting. In Turkish. I was then told that the English course started at 13.
All fine. A bit irritating, but it was all my fault.
The prof tells us that there are Turkish students that want to take the English version, but they have class at 13, so we'll start at 11:30. (Not important now, but just wait).

Wednesday.
Arrive at 12. Professor shows up and explains that, even though the lecture is supposed to start at 12, no self-respecting Turkish person eats lunch at any time other than 12, and can we start at 12:40?
Well, after waiting 4 hours on Tuesday, 40 minutes was no big deal.
While waiting, I emailed Elif about my Studio course. I can't find it online, and, after some of the disasters I've experienced and heard about, I figure it would just be better if she told me when things were.
Our Development prof asks us if we can switch the class to Friday mornings. Not a problem.
There is one other international student, Henrietta, in the class, from Sweden. She's very sweet, and is also in the Computer Techniques class.
She tells me it's been moved to Tuesday.
At noon.
Right after Development, I head over to my Design class. I'm 10 minutes late, and there's...no one there.
People show up late to class all the time, but there is no sign of life in this room. Or the hallway.
I walk over to Elif's office to talk to her. The other women there tell me she didn't come in today, don't know where she is or when she'll be back, and can't tell me anything about the Design class I'm supposed to be late for, but apparently am not.

I gave up and came home, counting Converse.
Five to two classes in one day.
If the only thing were that the profs changed the days and times (to a day/time that worked for people, and they found out by, oh, I don't know, asking), that would be different.
But what really pisses me off is that they change it all before the course starts and just expect their students to know. But now, I can't take Computer Techniques, and I didn't get any input. And I don't know when my Design class is to have any input.

I know for some people, it's not as big of a deal. They're not working towards a degree; these are all fun classes. But I need my courses. "Need" as in: if I can't pull this off, or something that kind-of-sort-of-maybe-in-an-alternate-reality works, I don't think I can graduate on time. I'm sure it will all work out (not on its own, though. I think extreme dentistry my be required on my part), but this is beyond the bounds of sanity. I mean, this is an [expletive] university.

m.

1 comment:

johnthebasket said...

Meagan...

Having read your description of having to hunt for classes, of profs arbitrarily changing class times, and of the people who are supposed to help you being pretty much in the dark, it seems entirely inappropriate to delete the expletive. Hang in there or just hang someone.

best wishes...
jtb