28.9.10

deneyimler


This is how I originally imagined Turkey:
-One week of Turkish classes. Become comfortable enough to converse basically with people.
-One week of orientation. Learn the city, and see all the cool places.
-Begin classes, probably six architecture courses and one history.

This is what actually happened.
-Attend Turkish class for two days. Learn we have class on Saturday.
-Attend Turkish class for another two days. Learn we have two, not one, weeks of Turkish class. Can say "They are not buying apples," but not "please" or "thank you."
-Finish two weeks of Turkish class. Can say "He will take his cat to Ismir on holiday," but not "please" or "thank you."
-Spent only an hour at the Grand Bazaar. The phrase I heard most from the group I was with was: "Oh. It all looks the same."
-Received my Turkish proficiency certificate the day classes began, before I had met with my advisor (and not because I didn't try) slash scheduled for classes. Actually, not really sure when clasess began.
-Met my advisor Wednesday (yesterday) and discussed classes. I received a handwritten, complete list of architecture courses in English. There were five. Even though it appeared classes had begun Monday, everything she said indicated they didn't start until next week. She wouldn't even give me a straight answer when I asked: "When do classes start? This week or next week?"
I then asked the head of the Exchange Program the same question. His answer: "Well, it depends on the department. Some start this week, others start next week."

While it's incredible--theoretically--being here, it's things like this that are driving me crazy. Yes, I understand it's an adventure, but this is a university, and the departments don't even communicate with each other when it comes to basic things like what courses are offered (that's another story entirely dealing with a different department and the official website that I don't want to touch at the moment). All in all, I have spent most of this week trying to not get too worked up over potentially missing classes (typical justification: I don't know (1) if they exist, (2) if I'm in them, (3) when they are, and (4) where they are).

m.

No comments: