13.11.10

Let's talk about glasses.

Buddy Holly glasses, to be exact.


I'm a big fan. Well, in general, I'm a big fan. There are some people who simply can't wear them.
Proof:

[Dear Scarlett Johanson: I do not care how cool you think you look. In actuality, you look kind of stupid. Although I think your hair may have something to do with that.]


I madly love people who can pull off the real thing (or at least, something very, very close). I am also obscenely jealous of them.

[Chloe can pull of just about anything, Buddy Holly frames included. Almost single-handedly making geekiness the epitome of fashion.]

[And just think: James Franco looked great even without the glasses.]

[Paul Giamatti kind of rocks my world anyway. I mean, really--how many men can pull off having a chickpea for a soul?]


However.

I don't think there are enough people embracing the idea for whom it would actually work. If you can pull it off, why not? It's not like getting a tattoo--you're not stuck with one pair of glasses for the rest of your life (hey, my drawing teacher had at least four different frames that she would coordinate with her outfit every day).

So.
I would like to submit a list of people (okay, men) who could wear Buddy Holly glasses but don't.
[And guys, just so you know? Geeks are cool. Geeks make girls swoon. Geeks can be sexy. Sexier even than washboard abs. And I am not, trust me, on my own on this.]

[Matthew Morrison. He does wear glasses, but if you can, why not go all the way?]

[Robert Sean Leonard got close--see below--so I'm forced to ask: why not go back? Although preferably not to the 80's pseudo-Lennon frames.]

[Jim Parsons. Granted, given his character on The Big Bang Theory, it may just be too much geekiness for one world to handle if he wore them. Too bad.]

[And last, but most certainly not least, Colin Morgan. I mean, really. The guy has a face that was built for Buddy Holly frames.]

So guys, if you can:
Buy a sweater, a scarf, some converse, and some Buddy Holly frames. And then wear them.
Preferably to my door.

m.

Original man, original frames, found here.
Girl who should not be wearing these particular glasses or covering Tom Waits.
Chloe, just brilliant and wonderful all around in anything she does.
James Franco, you need to wear those when you're not shooting a movie.
Imagine him doing "Maybe Baby" with the glasses.
Robert Sean Leonard, then and now. Good looking for the past 21 years.
"I think you have as much of a chance of having a sexual relationship with Penny as the Hubble Telescope does of discovering that in the center of every black hole, there's a little man with a flashlight searching for a circuit breaker."
If Colin Morgan were ever to show up at my door, with or without the glasses, he'd have to scrape me off the floor. Preferably after mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

No comments: