9.9.10

Gusses

I suppose what makes all of this so strange--and all the more terrifying--is that, in a sense, I've done it before.

Okay, not exactly.

But in some ways, it's the same.
I go away every year to school--and in some ways, Iowa is a foreign country. Every year about this time, I leave most of what's familiar behind for four months.
Yeah. Sounds about right.

I guess this is the time when I'm supposed to say "it's official" or something along those lines, but it's been official for months now. I committed myself to this about 3.62 minutes after I first heard about it from Abby. So there isn't any of that; none of it would be fair to say. There's just excitement and terror.

My old high school, Tacoma School of the Arts (more affectionately and commonly known as SOTA), started classes this week, so I went back to see some of my old teachers. I think this may have something to do with overwhelming preemptive nostalgia I'm feeling. I miss SOTA. I know that's a strange thing to say about my high school, but it was a unique place. Today, I heard part of Savage's lecture on the link between mortality and moderation, Shepherd's class discussing the origins of the Greek gods, and sat in on Mary explaining six-word-autobiogaphys. Like I said, unique.
As much as I love Coe and as much of a new situation it's forced me into, I have to be honest: SOTA was first.

m.

No comments: